Wednesday 25 February 2015

Why go?

So why have we decided to go to Haiti? A number of reasons really. It is not because Haiti is in the Caribbean (although this is attractive for me...not so much for Bill who does not like being hot). Making the decision has been a bit of a journey and a hard decision to make. Bill and I met at missionary training, we were both interested and involved in missions from a young age. From the time we got married in 2011 we have been open to going overseas to serve God.

Bill has been to bible college in Canada and when he moved to Northern Ireland he went to  bible college to do a masters degree in Theology. When it came to writing his dissertation he decided to write  paper on finding God's will for your life. After a few months of studying and writing his paper, Bill came to the conclusion God's plan is already written for us in the bible particularly in Matthew ch 28 v 10 which says 

'And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'

There are many ways in which we can do this, by teaching sunday school, by going to work and telling others what God has done for them, by going overseas. All of these ways are obeying God's command. One of the books which Bill used  asked this question ' What is the best way I can serve God?' not what is the least I can get away with, or how can that other person serve God but 'what is the best way I can serve God?'

As we thought about the future and prayed about it, we came to the conclusion that the best way we can serve God with the gifts he has given us is to go overseas. Bill has good theological education, something many people have both in Canada and Northern Ireland. I am a physiotherapist and there are so many physio's in Northern Ireland that there aren't enough jobs for everyone. So we began to look for opportunities within OMS as this was the mission organisation we had both been involved in before. One of the places which needed both a seminary teacher and a physiotherapist was Haiti. 

That was a long story cut short. Now we are in the process of getting ready to go towards the end of this year. This process involves getting  a team of people from home who will commit to praying for us and supporting us financially. If you would like to be part of that team please get in touch with me. 

I came across this video today which I made along with my friend when were in Haiti in 2010, this is the clinic I am going to work in. 

You can stop the video after 4 mins...its just blank after that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's next?

 This is most definitely the question we have been asked the most since we left Haiti at the beginning of December and I can honestly say un...