Friday 1 October 2010

From one beautiful country to another.....

I just spent the last 2 weeks at home for a wee break. Northern Ireland and Haiti are miles apart, not just in distance. Nearly everything about Haiti is completely different than Northern Ireland from the weather to language to driving and being the only person from Northen Ireland here is hard. Yet there are small similarites between Northern Ireland and Haiti which make me feel at home here.




In Northern Ireland we love to have a bit of 'craic' basically we love laughing and Haitian people love to laugh too. Even though life is so difficult and for most people everyday is a struggle yet you will always see people laughing and smiling. The main way they do that is by making fun of other people which we love to do at home too. Also if you know anyone from Northern Ireland you will see we love using the word wee. Although wee doesnt always mean little for example if I was waiting for someone for a long time I could say I was waiting for a good wee while. And in Creole people say exactly the same thing, the word for little in Creol is ti. They will say 'fe yon ti chita' which means have a wee seat, which is exactly what we would say at home. Its wee things like that which I love here because they remind me of home.

Just going between the two has reminded me how much I love home, when I was growing up I never wanted to leave Northern Ireland, I was going to get married, have a family and stay in Northern Ireland forever!!Yet God had completely different plans for my life, 5 years ago I didn't even know Haiti existed and for now I live here, it amazes me what God can do with your life if you let him and be obedient to him. And as much as I love home, I have complete peace about being in Haiti for right now because I know this is exactly where God wants me to be.

I also want to thank everyone who is praying for me here in Haiti, when I think back over the past wee while and look at some of the stuff I have been doing I almost can't believe it. But it is completely only in God's strength that I am able to do that, from praying with people who were in the earthquake in Creole, being bold in sharing the gospel in Creole to killing a huge flying cockroach and driving a 15 seater van in Haiti!!Things that is you told me I would be doing I would not have believed you!!
Philippians ch 1 v 3-5
'I thank my God in all my remembrance of you always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now.'


I was just about ready for a rest when I left Haiti here and I had a great time at home, I can't say I rested alot but it was just lovely to be at home and spend time with my friends and family. It is also nice to be back in Haiti and being where God has me for now.
Be open to God's plan for your life, I can't imagine where I would be now if I hadn't have been open to God's plan and direction in my life. The way God has directed my life has been unbelievable and it hasn't been easy. But when I see how God has used me to change peoples lives in some circumstances, not so I can say that was me who did that but so God's name can be glorified and people can come to know him and have the same freedom, purpose and peace that I have in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's next?

 This is most definitely the question we have been asked the most since we left Haiti at the beginning of December and I can honestly say un...